Friday, April 1, 2016

Family of four in one room

While we are building our house, my in-laws graciously opened their doors for us. This is not easy by any means, some days I'm just happy I'm super busy most of the time. During school holidays when we are all there, all the time I run my mantra "we will be our own debt free home soon" in my head and it'll make it worth the hassle. Combining cultures, families and generations under one roof can be challenging. This does not change the fact that I am extremely grateful that we can live here during the building process.

We live in one room and I wanted to give props to my minimalism lifestyle for actually fitting in there and not having all of our things boxed up somewhere. The only things that are in boxes are our kitchen stuff (we don't need them now), some house stuff (table cloths, decorations etc) and warmer clothes. Everything else is readily available in our one room. We have approximately 3mx3,5m space to work with. Originally I housed the kids toys in another room, but kept loosing my mind with messy, dirty, broken toys so I moved them into our room. Might I say that not a single toy has been lost or broken since...

When you step into the room first on the right is my newest invention: barricade of things that are waiting to be taken care of. I previously kept these things in a bag hidden under the bed but really it was there for six months and nothing got done. 


Some pillows and other things that need to be taken to a tailor (I need the hubby with me to make sure I'm truly understood). And that small black back has re-usable shopping bags inside that I keep in the car, so that I actually have them when I go buy the groceries. Went to the shop yesterday so that's why they are here now. Hopefully these will be gone by tonight - and truly they will because there they are bugging the hell out of me. :)

To the left is our closet/ linen closet/ and many other things.

Kids each have a shelf for their shorts and t-shirts since these get the most use. They share a shelf for long pants and shirts, school uniforms and pajamas. There is a shelf for water and one for books that I'm trying to keep from getting destroyed. 

I have a shelf for the few items that I'm not hanging, and another one with the white basket that houses my exercise clothes = work clothes. I hang the rest of my clothes. I also keep a sanity shelf that is always organized and pretty for my important things (jewellery, wallet and sunglasses). Mr hangs his suits and the rest of his clothes are on the shelfs (living with a minimalist has turned him slowly into one too). We try to keep a set of clothes that make us happy and are comfortable and presentable in this heat. Towels, sheets and pillowcases are kept on the bottom shelf. The ikea basket under the hangers has belts, ties, my clutches, scarfs and hats. Under the basket the drawers keep our underwear and one has keys, watches and sewing stuff.

On top we have hats, few decorations, and the white big basket has new Legos, books and other stuff waiting for the kids to have a birthday or something else that calls for a prezzie.



Bulk of the room goes for the bed. Then we have a small table that electronics are kept in. The iMac is at the office most of the time, but the tv broke so we are using it to watch movies and YouTube until the tv is fixed. Under the bed and the tv table there are some bigger cars and another ikea basket to keep all miniature things that kids have (minions, fireman Sam, dragons, animals). 

(My coaching gear is ready to go too...)



Next to the tv is the toy chaos. From the bottom: one basket for Legos, one for Dublos, one for train track, one for smaller cars and planes. Second row basket for costumes and other make belief things, then books, and a basket for the superheroes. Then puzzles, drawing books, and other games. The two wicker baskets on the top row have our tools, extra batteries, tapes and the other one has papers. One shelf for toiletries (because leaving them in the toilet is just going to get them broken or shared) and one for books and meds. The drawers have pens and other stationary. On top of the unit in the red box we keep extra bags, and big toys that just don't fit anywhere else.

And that's it. That's all a family of four needs.

Believe me it feels like too much some days, but when the kids have tidied their toys it's not that bad... But I still can't wait to have our house done and actual cupboards and rooms to keep everything in. <3
 

No comments:

Post a Comment