Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Ninaitwa Maiju

Living life in Tanzania has had a strange effect on me. The things that I value the most are changing. Actually strike that. I believe my values have always been the same, just that the external pressure I felt in our previous life geared me away from those values.

Here in Tanzania, you are easily defined by external factors. I am a wife. I am a mother. I get frequently called Mama Julius or Äiti. So much so that on some days I feel like screaming that my name is Maiju. I am more than a wife and a mother. I also get called "mzungu" - a white person a lot. My Finnish friend brought it up the other day when we were fabric shopping (OMG! That is a whole other story - the beauty of print fabrics), she asked me if it bothers me to be called that. And it does. I don't walk around the streets pointing to every person and calling them black. Who does that. And yet in this country people don't mean it in an offensive way. Or so I am told. I shrug it off most of the time, but...

The interesting thing is that in this country of many definitions, I am still more in touch with who I am. And who I am is starting to resemble a lot the little girl I once was. Does that mean that my true self is emerging again or does that mean that I am just so tired working mother of two that I no longer care to pretend ;). Who knows, but so far I am liking it!! 




3 comments:

  1. Kuulostaa ihanalta! Sounds so good! Elämän junaradalla porhalletaan eteenpäin niin että hukataan itsemmekin. Muiden tarpeisiin vastaaminenkin aiheuttaa itsensä kadottamisen, näin olen myös kahden äitinä huomannut :) onko tää siis joku äitijuttu? Ihanaa että sä olet löytänyt jotain noin arvokasta! Haleja täältä Suomesta muru!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joo varmasti äitinä oleminen aiheuttaa haasteita sille oman suunnan etsimiselle.. Paljon haleja sinnekin!!!

      Delete
  2. Kuulostaa ihanalta, sounds woderful! Elämän radalla kiihdytetään eteenpäin pysähtymättä niin että hukataan itsemme. Muiden tarpeiden pistäminen etusijalle myös aiheuttaa itsensä kadottamisen, myös kahden äitinä näin olen huomannut :) onko tää siis joku äitijuttu? Lisää tällaista ihanuutta sulle, ja halit täältä Suomesta muru!

    ReplyDelete