Monday, June 24, 2013

Living in africa...


Everything is good. I keep getting messages from Finland, asking how is it. And I struggle to answer. It's life, and we love it. Max is starting to talk more, he has added new words during our trip: kissa, kukka, Asante, babu, Bibi, apua, anna. He can use these words quite effectively to get what he wants. :)


While Julius has always spoken Swahili with Tonny, he struggled to speak it to anyone else. Somehow, in his head it was just him and his baba using it. But yesterday I watched him have a whole conversation in Swahili with Abraham. I big discussion about what shoes he wants to wear. Every time kids amaze me how quick and easy they can adopt into new situations.


We had a disaster with Julius's skin after the first load of laundry was done. Stupid me I didn't even question what detergent do they use. All of a sudden the guy was full of rash and scratching his skin off faster than we could blink. And now I say thank you google. This disaster made me do one night of research until I found myself looking at the solution at solveeczema.org. We have always used mild detergent and that has helped to keep it some what under control, but what this website suggests it getting rid and preventing it. I now believe Julius has a detergent allergy. We switched to washing him with REAL soap, and all of our clothes, towels etc. the results are amazing. The skin that was pretty much bleeding in places has cleared up completely!! And without cortisone! He still gets some reaction from clothes (we had them washed three times but detergent is persistent)  but it is such a relief to know that why does it happen and when I wash him with soap at night I can see it all going away within few hours.

What this means though it quite thorough change. Mixing our own laundry soap, trying to hunt for real soap product for everything, and checking each and every lotion, tooth paste, even food for the SLS and buddies... But if it helps him then I do it with a song in my heart <3

Days are running and soon it's time to head home... I wish we didn't have to and I hope we can get back soon...

3 comments:

  1. Pakko tähänkin kommata pieni vinkki. Oliivisaippua on tositehokas ja vyvä saippua kuivalle iholle ja kaikille hiuksille. Afrikassa ku kaikki on niin hajustettua niin on varmaan vaikee löytää hyviä tuotteita kaupoista ainakaan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juu aika nopeasti hylkäsin supermarkettien valikoimat ja lähetin paikalliset ostoksille.. Sieltä löyty loistava saippua jossa on jotenkin öljyä mukana, käyttävät perinteisesti vauvojen ja niiden vaatteiden pesuun.. Ja halpaa kun mikä. Se oli joku kenialainen merkki, tyyliin sata vuotta vanha mutta toimi meillä :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mahtavaa, pitääpi ottaa selvää seuraavaa reissua varten!

      Delete